Kim Jong-il/Kim Jong-un less evil than.. Yahweh?

Think about this for a minute.

As a North Korean citizen, if you speak out against the leaders, or the regime of Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, you, and the next three generations of your entire family, are sent to the prison camps.  Any generation thereafter, are not subjugated to the sentence imposed on that family, unless well, the family loves the prison camps.

One thing clearly obvious is Kim Jong-un, and his dead father assigned themselves the status of deities, and like the god of the bible, Yahweh, they demonstrate a similar lack of empathy towards their subjects, and no sense of justice whatsoever.  

As an individual, if I do wrong, if I am truly moral, I want to:
  • own that wrong
  • fix it
  • learn from it
  • improve myself because of it
  • teach others the lessons I have learned.  
  • I would not want to assign blame, guilt, responsibility, or sacrifice of any other living thing, other than myself.
No moral judge, no moral arbitrator, no moral governor, no moral king, or a moral god would extend the consequences and penalties of my actions beyond me.
Unless they KNEW that the only way to truly hurt me, would to have my sentence imposed on others I love.  If any judge, all the way up to any god, used others I loved to torture me for my wrongs, under no circumstances, can this entity be moral, or good, or just.

Yet.....
Romans 5:12 - Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Romans 5:19 - For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Psalms 58:3 - The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
etc...



The bible is "blessed" with numerous verses letting us know, regardless of the best intentions of most parents - a child - every human child, through no fault of their own, or the best efforts of their communities, or even if, through the miracles of science and education, we can guide a child to do no wrong, ever - we all destined for hell, unless we commit our beliefs to the salvation story.  But this myth is severely flawed and unjust from the beginning.

The Evil of Genesis.
On the fifth day, according to the creation myth, God created man and woman (Genesis 1:27), a creature who was granted dominion over all life, made man out of dust (Genesis 2:7 -after the 7th day, if chronology is important), made the garden of Eden, placed man there, took a rib from Adam, made Eve, and both were naked (implying ignorance) (Genesis 2:21:25).  The ignorance is important to my point. Also note, the tree of knowledge of good and evil is located in the center of the garden (Genesis 2:9).  In Genesis 3, the serpent (claimed as a crafty creation of God- so one would think the all powerful, all knowing God would know that) tempts ignorant Eve, who tempts ignorant Adam, and the rest of humanity is cursed by the all KNOWING, all LOVING god.

Take a modern day loving-caring parent with their newborn; most parents give their children up through college ages to take most responsibility for their lives. We encourage education, we protect our children, while innocent and ignorant, from the perceived dangers of the world.

But we are to believe, the god who created us, essentially shirked his responsibilities, by tempting ignorant humans with the tree in the center of Eden, and allowing the crafty serpent to be present, while his prized creation, humans, were still extremely naive, then not only damning them after original sin, but all subsequent humans, thereafter, is righteous?

Religious apologists claim, god can do that, because he's god.  Again, a common theme - men wrote the bible, and defined god, therefore, humans can debate the morality of the biblical god.



What really sucks about Eve, then Adam, eating the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, is humans didn't instantly gain complete knowledge of good or evil.

We developed today's standards of right and wrong after several thousands of years of weighing the justice codes outlined in bronze aged doctrines and decided that things like:
    •  stoning disobedient children, adulterers, and same-sex couples
    • child labor
    • childhood marriages
    • slavery
    • unequal rights for women
are morally unacceptable to us.  

By not living by the moral codes of the bible, thankfully, aren't believers defining their own morality against the man-made 'gods words'?

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with going against the moral code of the bible, we are a better society because collectively, we decided there are certain codes that do not serve to create an equal, just, and vibrant human society, so why are Christians clinging to the belief?

The story of Jesus is supremely compelling, and offers hope to many who recognize, as individuals, we at times come up short of our own expectations, and feel guilty when we wrong others.  The problems with being human is we all have our own personal needs, desires, and ambitions and it is impossible to attend to yourself, without impacting the personal needs, desires, and ambitions of others.  Since we are naturally empathetic, this self-guilt becomes an easy angle to exploit by religious institutions desiring to gain control over the will of other human beings.

The carrot - eternal life, the stick - eternal damnation, yet it is Yahweh who really failed.

My amazing mother, did an outstanding job raising me.  She made sure I went to the right schools, was considerate of others, accepted responsibilities for my actions, and, did her best to keep me in the church, to this day, apologizes for things 'she thinks' she could have done better. This is mind-boggling to me, because, I have some wonderful fundamental principals and ideals that come from all she did, the good, bad and indifferent.  I often console her, to let her know that as far as I'm concerned, she did everything right. She has so much love, so much will, so much humor, so much compassion, that I got more from her than I would ever ask for.

By comparison, the superior divine creator, who knows all, cannot see the failures of his approach to the original humans, blames us, condemns us, then 'offers' a disputable story as salvation, is to be praised?  I will praise my mother, my wife, my children, my friends, our communities, our societies, our country, our species, our humanity, our planet, our universe and our dynamic collective knowledge, and shared experiences, before I'll praise that human-created god concept.

I see Yahweh, the biblical god-concept, as fundamentally evil.

I'm open to other god possibilities - I cannot fathom the thought that a possible creator of us, is less moral, less compassionate, lets just than the 'Kims'. Could anyone in Western society, envision worshiping, or praising Kim Jung-un?




Comments